Serena Williams led today's game against Daniela Hantuchova 6-2 6-5 when she fell down with painful calf muscle cramps. The medics helped her on court with painkillers and a brief massage, but she was already in tears, screaming with pain. She struggled to get back on her feet and receive Daniela's service, but couldnt move to hit the ball. Tears streaming down her face, she lost the game and was 2-4 down in the tie-break when the rain gods appeared to be listening, and the game was suspended in the downpour that followed. When the game resumed a few hours later, Serena looked close to normal after medic assistance and quickly took charge in an adrenalin pumping set to close the match out 6-2. Before walking off, Serena blew a kiss towards the skies, which gave her the much needed reprieve.
Serena's win made me recall some of the inspiring sporting moments in recent times I can recall having seen -
* Micheal Jordan's last shot in the 1998 NBA which he sank with 5 seconds to go to win the game against Utah and secured the Chicago Bulls' sixth title.
* Maradona's two goals against England in 1986
* Federer beats Sampras in the 4th Round, Wimbledon 2001 - changing of the guard
* Miandad's last ball six off Chetan Sharma (Sigh!)
* Lance Armstrong's first of six consequitive Tour de France titles in 1999.
* Kerri Strug completing a vault with ripped ankle ligaments at the 1996 Olympics
What's your most memorable sporting moment?